Guide Gladiator Guide

Jejess

Staff member
The Gladiator is the weapons master of the Aion world and boasts excellent tanking and damage dealing capabilities. As such, Gladiators can fill either the tanking or dps role in a group. This class also has the widest variety of weapons available to them, being able to wield any physical weapon with the exception of the staff.

Play Style
The Gladiator is the close range, AoE damage dealing class of Aion as it has more AoE skills than any other class. As the Gladiator is a hybrid tank/dps class they have many different types of weapons to choose from. Most Gladiators generally tend to use two-handed weapons such as greatswords or polearms, given that two-handed weapons are required for their AoE skills and have a chance to knockdown an enemy when dealing a critical strike. Polearms are a 4-strike weapon which means for every attack the Gladiator is hitting the opponent up to 4 times in a swing. Some Gladiators may opt to use a dual wield approach, wielding two one-handed weapons in each hand. While dual wielding does increase the Gladiator's single target dps, the Gladiator cannot use AoE skills without first equipping, or switching to, a two-handed weapon. A Gladiator can also choose to wield a sword or mace and a shield if their plate armor alone will not suffice. This gives the Gladiator a chance to block and mitigate some damage, though this combination is rarely seen as Gladiators can tank most mobs or bosses just fine without the use of a shield.

PvE
In solo play, Gladiators can dispatch many mobs in succession as they are protected by the same heavy plate armor as Templars and also deal high damage, bringing down their targets quickly. Using the correct combo chains are essential to allowing them to do high damage while taking very little in return. As such, there is little to no rest time between mobs and Gladiators can grind for long periods of time relying solely on a few healing skills or by using potions and treatments.

In group play, Gladiators make excellent main and off tanks even at low levels and can bring down groups of enemies, using their AoE attacks in conjunction with the high damage of a polearm. As main tanks, Gladiators use their passive skills such as

<Aggravation I> to increase aggro generation as well as a single target

<Taunt I> . As off-tanks, Gladiators can use AoE skill chains which include skills like

<Rage I> to hold aggro on multiple mobs, taking little damage themselves while a templar holds aggro on the main target.

PvP
In solo PvP, a Gladiator can stand toe to toe with any of the melee classes. The Gladiator also has many buffs that specifically increase his damage to players such as

<Aion's Strength I> . However, as Gladiators have little in the way of magical damage mitigation as well as ranged attacks, this class is often kited easily by caster classes. While Gladiators do have an excellent ranged root ability (

<Ankle Snare I> ) and have the ability to attack with a bow, ranged classes will often be able to easily dispatch Gladiators. In group PvP, a Gladiator can wreak havoc on enemy ranks as they have a variety of high damage, single target skills (

<Precision Cut I> being one) and AoE skills at their disposal. Being a plate class, Gladiators are not often targeted in group PvP until their Cleric or CC is dead. This gives the Gladiator the chance to fly in and attack Sorcerers and Spiritmasters and pressure the opposing Cleric. Their powerful AoE skills combined with the knockdown ability of their weapons makes Gladiator very useful in any group PvP situation.

Dual Wielding
Many Gladiators choose to Dual Wield to maximize their DPS. Dual Wielding is available to Gladiators through the

<Advanced Dual-Wielding I> Stigma. Gladiators will not be able to use any of the AoE skills available to polearms and greatswords while dual wielding. They must have a polearm or greatsword handy to switch weapons if they wish to use skills like these

<Seismic Wave I>
<Shock Wave I>
<Seismic Billow I> .

The main advantage of dual wielding is increased damage while weaving. Swords and Maces are 3-strike weapons, and with a high base attack, can crit up to 3,000 damage from auto-attacks.

PvE Strategies
Since most groups rely on CC when dealing with adds, a Dual Wield Gladiator is able to heavily damage the party's main target while avoiding causing excess threat to all other targets in the area. They can still swap to a polearm or a greatsword to add a few AoEs then swap back to dual wielding if they choose but doing so comes at the cost of possible multi-target threat and aggroing mobs that are otherwise dormant or under the effects of

<Curse of Roots I> or

<Sleep I> . This can be detrimental to the party as a whole if the Gladiator through bad choices forces the party into encounters with multiple high level Elite or better targets that they otherwise might not have had to fight. In many cases it is better to err on the side of caution than to wipe an entire party because you were bored and wanted to take on more than you and your party can handle.

PvP Strategies
Knockdowns are still available while dual wielding. When versing another player, rely on your knockdowns to stumble your opponent as much as possible. If versing Cleric or Chanter, keep moving! Try to anticipate when a Cleric will root next and Charge to anticipate it. Save knockdowns until they cast their heals. If they use

<Remove Shock I> , knock them down again. Remember to use your head first and your weapons second and you will always come out as the victor vs evenly matched opponents and if all else fails there is always Valhalla!

Here are some of the pros and cons in playing this class.
  • Pros
- high physical damage
- moderate physical defense
- versatile; can tank and do heavy DPS
- heavy hitter
- Area of Effect (AoE) Damage
- great in group PvP
- decent in solo PvP
- hits even harder while flying

• Cons
- limited survivability
- being Melee (even though they are harder to kite, its still very possible)
- potion reliable (you cant go any where without potions if you want to keep a steady flow going.)

Gear
In PvE, gladiators can achieve varying degrees of success with mediocre gear in most cases. However, if main tanking in end game instances, good armor is a must as gladiators do not have access to the many damage negating skills of a templar. As far as armaments are concerned, procuring an attack speed boosting weapon is a priority for this class to make up for the slow attack speed of two handed weapons.

In PvP, gladiators require excellent gear to be viable as having any subpar gear will have devastating consequences. While gladiators do wear plate type armor, they are lacking in damage reducing skills and can go down quickly if not well geared. Also, as this class has little in the way of magical resistance, gladiators require excellent damage to quickly end any fights against casters by dispatching them before they get a chance to react. To achieve this, an excellent armsfused weapon (polearm, greatsword, and bow) fully socketed with attack manastones will be of great benefit. As well, many players choose to socket Magical Resistance manastones in their PvP gear when dealing with casters and Crit Strike or Attack manastones when dealing with other melee. After reaching the soft caps for Crit and Attack, the next stat should be Accuracy to reduce the evasion of attacks.

* Comparisons of Greatsword and Spear
  • Greatsword is faster than spear but it can never spike high damage like the spear can. The speed of the greatsword, high base damage, and accuracy does a pretty good job.
  • Spear on the other hand is slower than the greatsword but it can spike high damage. For me, I prefer using spear because i like having that high damage burst from time to time especially when it comes down to AOE skills (Area of effect skills). Gladiator is an RNG type of class so doing high damage would be fitting for a gladiator; hence, using spear will be my choice. However, as I mentioned earlier, choosing a weapon, whether it be a greatsword or a spear, all comes to your personal preferences.

* Comparisons of Extendable weapons and Non-Extendable weapons.
  • Extendable Spear & Greatsword
- Extendable Spear & extendable greatsword work really well for gladiators. It can reach up to 5-6 meters in range. Most gladiators use it for kiting their targets within the 5-6 meters in range although the stats on it isn't as high as non-extendable weapons. But having that extra range is a sacrifice you'll have to make when you are using an extendable. However, having that range is very helpful when it comes to PvP. I would recommend getting one for your Gladiator.
- examples of which are Lethal Elite Arbiter's spear/greatsword, Furious Longtooth, Longtooth Katalium, and Distorted Dragon Lord's weapons.

• Non-extendable Spear & Greatsword
- Non-extendable spear works really well for gladiators too. In fact, it can be deadly on a gladiator depending on how you play, your stats , and your gear of course. Non-extendable weapons have higher stats than extendable weapons. Using a non-extendable will have you sacrifice the additional meters you get when using an extendable weapon. I find Gladiators really easy to use with non-extendable because this class has ranged AoE skills so using your AoE skills with a non-extendable will surely maximize your damage. I would prefer using the non-extend spear over non-extend greatsword as the former has more range than the latter. Keep this in mind if you are choosing between a non-extend spear and greatsword.
- On the other hand, a non-extendable greatsword has higher accuracy and it's faster. If you're going for accuracy build, using a non-extend greatsword is the most suitable for you. However, a non-extendable greatsword has a smaller range than the non-Extendable spear having the difference of 1m.
- Non-extend weapons are best used when your enemy is up close so you can burst down your target with heavy damages. It can also be really useful against block build classes because it gives more accuracy and attack.

* Alternative Items for Gladiators
  • Bow
- Having a bow is nice to have especially when your target is far from you since you can just use it to shoot your target down. Mostly used when your target is running away or when you're kiting your targets. I would recommend getting one. The best bow you can get in game so far is Elite Arbiter's Bow with a fuse of another Elite Arbiter's bow. However, getting a cheap fuse for it is fine too since you're only using it to shoot your targets down by auto attacking.

• Dual wielding
- Dual wielding is also a good alternative although I would not use these as weapons to use in actual open PvP. This weapon is very good for killing single targets. You can go for extendable Lethal Elite Arbiter's sword & Lethal Elite Arbiter's Sword or Lethal Elite Arbiter's Dagger & Lethal Elite Arbiter's Sword. If you are going to use dual wield and really want to do massive damage, I would suggest using 2 Elite Arbiter's Swords for both main hand and off-hand weapons. Honestly though, if you want to dual wield and deal massive damage in PvP, might as well re-roll to assassin. For me, I still prefer using two-handed weapons for gladiators in PvP.

• Shield and mace/sword
- Shield and mace/sword go well with Elite Principal's plate set since this set gives block stats. I do not recommend this if you want to go offensive because it's f%$#*ng pointless. However, I do use these items because it allows me to toggle my shield defense stance to tank melee classes.

Gladiator's Important Skills
*Note: Avoid using casting/chargeable skills because there are many other skills that can offer the same damage at a shorter amount of time.

A. BUFFS + TIPS

Unwavering Devotion I

• Increases stun, knock back, stumble, spin, and aerial thrust resistance values by 800% for 1 min. and 30 secs.
  • Abbrev. UD

Second Wind I

• Recovers HP by 35% and increases maximum HP by 35% and strike fortitude by 500 for 1 min.
  • Note that this skill is not only used for heals but it can also be used as a defense type of skill as it reduces the physical critical damage dealt by melee type opponents.

Berserking I

• Increases physical attack by 80% for 30 secs. while decreasing accuracy by 200 and physical defense by 50%.
  • Timing is the key in using this skill. Avoid using this if you are just going to tank. For example, a templar is fully buffed and is getting ready to pull. After a pull, he's going to use heavy damage skills on you. I see a lot of gladiators buffing up this skill at the start of a fight which is pointless as your physical defense is decreased. That way the templar will deal more damage on you. However, against magical classes, you can use this buff anytime as the decrease in physical defense does not apply.

Strengthen Wings I

• Removes all magical movement impairing debuffs and increases your flight speed by 10%, immobilization resist by 500, and reduces speed resist by 500 for 1 min. Enabling flight without consuming flight time.

Slaughter I

• Magical accuracy is increased by 300. You deal additional 25% damage when attacking a player.
  • Make sure you always have this skill up when in PvP! First skill you activate right when you log in and right after you resurrect.

Remove Shock I

• Removes all Stun, Knockback, Stumble, Spin, and Aether's Hold conditions and increases Stun, Knock Back, Stumble, Spin, and Aether's Hold Resists by 1000 for 7 sec.
  • Try to use this skill in a timely manner. Only use this skill in emergency situations. For example, an assassin stunned you to bait out your remove shock. It is more likely that he will go for a stun lock rotation. You would want to save this skill as much as possible unless you really need it.
  • Abbrev. RS

Armour of Attrition I

• Reflects 70 of the damage received back to the enemy and absorbs 100 HP of the target that used attack on you for 15 secs.
  • This skill goes great with berserking. Since berserking decreases physical defense, every bit of extra defense that you can get useful. Also, this skill is useful with second wind if you're going to tank as it absorbs 100 HP of the target each time you receive a magical/physical attack.

Ferocity I

• Increases physical attack by 100% and decreases physical defense by 30% for 8 secs.
  • This skill goes really well if you stack it with berserking. With both berserking and ferocity together, it gives you 180% physical attack.

Charge I

• Increases your movement speed and flight speed by 60 for 10 secs.
  • Most people use this to catch up to their targets. As for me, I use this skill if I'm going for a burst. I normally use this when I have ferocity + berserking stacked together so that I can catch up to my targets and make the most out of my buffs. Also, use this skill to run away in case of zerg emergency (LOL!)

Wall of Steel I

• Parries 12 physical attacks for 30 secs.

Spin Block I

• Increases your parry by 200 for 30 secs.
  • It's good if you stack it with other parry skills like Repel I.

Repel I

• Increases parry by 300 for 10 secs.
  • This buff goes well with spin block as this buff gives an additional 200 parry for 30 secs.

Stamina Recovery I

• Restores HP by 216 every 6 secs for 1 min.
  • I prefer stacking this skill with Second wind + Armour of Attrition.

Rage IV

• For 10 secs, increases physical attack by 53 and forms a protective shield with 100% chance to absorb 514 damage from an attack up to 514 total damage.
  • This buff has the same effect as an anti-shock scroll but this one increases you physical attack by 53.

Magic Defense I

• Increases your spell debuff by 1000 and decreases your magical resistance by 100 for 15 secs.
  • Only use this skill against magical classes (i.e. Sorcerers, Spiritmasters, Songweavers, Gunslingers, Aethertechs). Never use against melee classes because for one, magical resistance gets reduced by 100. You're more likely to get more debuffs because of your low magic resist.

Manastones
This is where I have to facepalm at 80% of all gladiators on private servers.
I'll say this only ONCE.

Attack Manastones ONLY ADD DAMAGE TO AUTO-ATTACKS.
No, not to skill damage.
No, not to base attack.
ONLY, Auto-attacks.

Now, what's our main source of damage as a gladiator?
That's right, OUR SKILLS!
What contributes the most to those skills hitting harder?
CRITICAL HITS!

HP
Now that we got that out of the way, I know we ALL have trouble with sorcerers right? Getting 2 shot by them can't be fun.
Well if you want to live through that, stack HP into the rest of the slots.

Accuracy
I've heard people keep saying "oow accuracy is against those evasion stackers"
Cool story brah, but it also pierces through Parry (Chanters), Block (templars and some clerics), and yes, EVASION (Sins and Rangers).
Now I've dodged SO many people lately I'm just laughing my ass off.
I'll also tell you that Assassins and Rangers have skills that BOOST their evasion rate quite a bit, so if you have anything LESS then 1800 Accuracy, you ARE going to get dodged.
Do take in account I don't add the -200 accuracy you get from Berserking in that.
A GOOD amount of accuracy to have it about 2000, 100 or 200 more would also be nice.
This should give you a steady hit rate.

Godstones

The top 3 godstones for gladiators would be Khrudgelmir's Silence, Bollvig's Love, and Ereshkigal's Honor.
Godstone: Khrudgelmir's Silence

• Adds a weapon effect that silences the target for 10 seconds with 10% probability.
  • My #1 choice as a gladiator. When it comes down to godstones, you would want to use something that helps you with dealing against your counter class (i.e. magic-based classes; such as sorcerers, spiritmasters, etc). This does not only help you in dealing against magic-base classes but against melee classes as well since it prevents them from using their buffs.
Godstone: Bollvig's Love

• Adds a weapon effect that blinds the target for 10 seconds with 10% probability.
  • Blind is also another good godstone for gladiators. However, this godstone only works against melee classes.
Godstone: Ereshkigal's Honor

• Adds a weapon effect that paralyzes the target for 5 seconds with 2% probability.
  • One of the most preferred godstone for gladiators. This godstone works on all classes. Although, you have to be careful of how you use your stumble skills if your target is paralyzed. If you stumble your target while it's in a paralyzed state the effect of this godstone will cancel.
Tips and Tricks

A. Weaving is a must for gladiators
  • Why? Because it helps you deal more damage over time and also it saves you from draining your MP like a sorcerer. If you'll just spam skills, you're not only limiting your damage but you will lose a lot of MP. Other tricks that were shown on the video are useful too; however, it is not mandatory to do them.
B. What to look for in fighting other classes
-
In this content, I will discuss what to watch out for and some tips on how to deal with them. I won't explain or show how to kill each and every class because everyone has their own ways of doing it. It's better if you learn through firsthand experience than actually reading on how to deal with certain classes.
  • Gladiators - When fighting a gladiator, it all comes down to ping and damage. Again, weave a lot to maximize your damage. Also, whoever stumbles the most and procs the godstone the most, wins.

• Templars - When fighting a templar, you will need to know when to attack and when to start kiting. Make use of anti-shock scrolls when you feel like they are going to pull you. Timing is the key. Be very cautious with your Berserking. Don't try and go head on with a templar when you see him using their damage buffs and getting ready to burst you. 1 or 2 pulls can easily counter you and all that loss of defense from using berserking is only going to help the templar deal more damage on you. The best time to DPS a templar would be when he has already used all his pulls on you. Make sure you note when he uses his pull skill and count down the cool down of that skill. Let them pull you. Once that's done, go ahead and buff up and try your best to take them down.

• Gunslingers - You would want to make gunslingers use their remove shock first before you do. You gotta be quick with this class and do not hesitate to use heavy cool down skills with gunners. Pretty much watch out for their stuns and silences.

• Assassins - The same goes with fighting this class. Make them use remove shock first before you do. Don't hesitate to use Unwavering Devotion or any long cool down skills. Especially on this server, a lot of assassins call you "noob" for using UD when it's one of the most important skills to use as a gladiator. Watch out for their stun locks. Just because you have UD on doesn't mean they can't stun lock you through it.

• Rangers - With rangers, watch out for their sleep traps, immobilization traps, and blind traps. As a gladiator, you might find a lot of rangers easy to kill but never underestimate anyone. Rangers can kill a gladiator too if they know how to make use of their traps and bursts. With this class, pretty much knock them off their feet, stumble and disable them as much as possible before they can even shoot an arrow on you or even have the time to set traps.

• Songweavers - This class is probably one of the hardest class to fight against with. Save your MP pots and time it properly since they're known for taking your MP away. Again with this class, disable them, knock them off they're feet, weave your skills like your life depends on it!!! Also, watch out for their Composer's Bar since this skill disables you from attacking for 5 sec. Just kite it off. Another skill to watch out for is Staggered Rest which paralyzes you for 5 secs with an 8 sec. delay.

• Spiritmasters - Ok.. For Spiritmasters, you will need to go Super Saiyan mode on them! This class is one of the hardest class to fight. With this class, you'll have a pretty low chance of winning. However, if you're fast enough, burst this class down as fast as possible make them wish they never met a Gladiator like you. Show no mercy with this class. (LOL!) One thing you gotta look out for is Spirit Substitution or Spirit Command: Bodyguard I. Don't waste time attacking with this buff on because it won't do anything. It would be faster to just kill their pet first then proceed to attacking the SM.

• Sorcerers - With this class, you would need to burst down their stone skin first and deal as much damage possible before they sleep/immobiliize you. Watch out for Wintry. I see a lot of gladiators with extendable weapons running up so close while the sorcerer has Wintry up and attacking them. Wintry will not effect you if you're standing 6 meters away from the sorcerer.

• Clerics - A good cleric will bury their blind on you. Be careful with that and save your Greater Healing potion if this happens. Bait out their remove shock, and go for stun/stumble lock when possible.

• Chanters - Pretty much the same with clerics. You should know when to burst chanters. They will use skills that slows down your attack to make you attack like a turtle. The same with killing clerics, you will need to bait out their remove shock. However, chanters have a skill that acts like a remove shock, called Rise I. You have to observe and be aware when and how long they have used their Remove Shock/Rise. Go for a stumble lock if possible and do as much damage on them. Again, remember to weave your skills to max out your DPS since this class is known for their heals. Burst them down and stumble them to prevent them from healing.

• Aethertechs - One of the most important buffs you have to watch out against ATs is their buff called Absorbing Reflector Shield I which reduces the target's MP by 600 with every hit received for 10 sec. Just kite off this buff.

* Things you should NOT do as a Gladiator
- Don't use lock down on a caster. It's useless because it doesn't do anything. Use Body Smash chain skill instead.
- Don't use stumble skills when your opponent is in a Remove Shock state, wait until the skill duration is cooled off then use them.
- Don't use Wall of Steel unless it's a melee class.
- Don't use Magic Defense unless you're fighting a Magic Boost type class.

If you have any Questions, Suggestions or Clarifications leave a Comment below or send a Private Message ;) ..

- Jejess

Last edited: