Guide Ranger Guide

Jejess

Rangers are expert archers, utilizing bows from long range with great accuracy and power. They have an array of skills that can do damage to not only single foes but can strike out at several. With their preset traps hidden in front of their opponents, Rangers can slow and damage the enemy at a distance, all the while inflicting more destruction with well-aimed shots. They are also well trained in the use of daggers. While not as able with a blade as an assassin, a Ranger can inflict crippling damage to a foe even in close proximity.
They are solitary figures with finely honed survival skills and the ability to endure even in the harshest environments. While versatile and highly functional, Rangers are strikingly anti-social figures and never seem at peace among the masses of Atreia.

The Ranger class is the ranged weapon expert of Aion and deals extensive damage from afar by using their bow to launch deadly arrows to destroy their victim. The Ranger is a ranged dps class with one or two skills of CC ability.

Play Style
The Ranger excels at long range burst type dps and is exclusively considered a dps class. While Rangers do have a variety of skills that provide debuffs and snares on a target, the main focus of the class is to inflict high damage very quickly from afar. To aid in this focus, Rangers also have a variety of survival skills and traps that can keep enemies at bay and allow for the Ranger to quickly put distance between them and their target. Once at optimal distance, the Rangers then burst their target down quickly and efficiently. While Rangers do have the ability to use melee weapons such as a dagger or sword (and have minimal skills to match), their main power comes from the use of a bow, because a Ranger can keep a target snared indefinitely and also has a chance to stun a target on each critical bow attack.

PvE
In solo play, the Ranger can kite any target while still maintaining a high rate of dps. Since mobs are kited and do not actually get into melee range, a good Ranger will almost never get hit by an enemy mob. Not only does this allow Rangers to kill mobs non-stop very quickly, it also allows for Rangers to solo kill elite mobs, which provide much more experience than normal mobs.

PvP
In solo PvP, Rangers can take down other players very quickly since they can get the element of surprise with the use of their hide skill. Their buff skills also allow them to increase both their evasion and accuracy to deal with higher level players with more ease. Should things turn sour for a Ranger, traps can be laid down or
<Tactical Retreat I>} can be used to run and hide into safety. Another thing to note is that Rangers also get a buff skill (
<Mau Form I>) which increases attack speed, movement speed, and damage significantly. All of these advantages, combined with the ranger's high burst dps, allow for Rangers to quickly dispatch a target then retreat into safety.

In group PvP, Rangers usually target the back line of the enemy group. With their far range and quick, high damage skills, Rangers can burst down targets that are unprepared very quickly. Also, with a high Crit Rate, a Ranger can keep a caster locked down by continuously stunning their target, ensuring that the target cannot cast any skills or even move at all. However, it should be noted that Rangers have one of the lowest HP pools and do not have much in the way of direct damage mitigation. As such, if snared, stunned, or otherwise immobilized by an enemy, Rangers can be killed very quickly.

Gear
In most scenarios, be it PvE or PvP, most rangers exclusively focus on maximizing their attack. This is done by armsfusing their bow and enchanting it to a high level as soon as possible. While rangers do require a few manastones to hit the soft cap for critical rate, the rest of the slots are devoted to raising attack. Excellent armor is beneficial but not absolutely necessary to excel with this class. However, it is imperative that all rangers acquire armor that boosts both their movement speed on the ground and flight speed in the air to ensure that they can stay at optimal range from their target while bursting it down.
After 1.9 and the introduction of Strike Resist, it has become less important to optimize attack. Rangers now have to boost their crit stat to between 500 and 600 (including food and scrolls) to overcome strike resist stats against opponents with enchanted armor. After meeting that crit range, socketing HP instead of attack is preferred. A 10k health glass-cannon is worth more than a 3k health glass cannon. With a larger health pool, you can take down more targets, and with potions and recovery stones you are able to handle a vast majority of the other classes. Armor and weapon choices should prioritize manastone sockets over minimal statistic changes. In the end, manastone sockets are much more beneficial.

Attributes and Stats
Rangers on creation have the following base attributes:
Power: 100 - affects physical damage
Health: 100 - affects hit points and recovery rate
Agility: 115 - affects evasion, parry and block rates
Accuracy: 115 - affects chance to hit and critically hit rate (the manastone that increases Accuracy does not affect this attribute, it affects the stat with the same name found under your offensive stats)
Knowledge: 90 - affects spell damage and hit rate
Will: 90 - affects mana pool and mana recovery rate

In addition there are the following statistics that can be modified by gear and manastone choices:
Attack: affects physical damage
Accuracy: used to calculate chance to hit with weapons or abilites (this is not the same as the atttribute above with the same name)
Crit Rate: used to calculate chance to score a critical hit. For every 10 critical rating, you gain roughly 1% critical strike chance. After you achieve a critical hit rating of 440, you need 20 critical rating per 1% increase (called the soft-cap). Also, your critical hits have a chance to knockback your opponent.
Attack Speed: delay between auto-attacks, also affects casting animation speed
Speed: movement speed
Magic Boost: affects magical damage
Magic Accuracy: used to calculate chance to hit with spells

Physical Defense: affects physical damage taken from melee and ranged attacks
Evasion: chance to dodge a physical attack
Block: chance to block
Parry: chance to parry
Magical Resistance: chance to resist damage or debuffs from spells
Fire/Wind/Water/Earth Resistance: affects damage taken from spells

Manastones
What Manastones does ranger use?

In the past ranger would use composite Manastones.

For Manastones, you have a few options in which you can go, all giving different play styles, and different benefits, instead of telling you builds, I will tell you what each Manastone can do for the class, and how it can help you in various ways.

Attack: Increases your bonus physical attack by a fixed amount, 1 attack = 1 more damage to skills and auto attacks, but due to increases, physical defense, and all this, it is very hard to see the exact amount of damage bonuses you are getting from this.

It is important to note though, Skills that buff attack power by a percentage apply only to the base attack value. It does not take into account any mana stones, passive attack boost skills, or any other +attack source that increase your green bonus attack value.

It is also important to note that even though this might be increasing your damage, critical hitting with skills more often, hitting the target and not blocking more often, will also increase your damage much more would then flat out attack

My opinion on this manastone: Its hit and miss, I can't tell you its bad I can't tell you its good, it may seem like a safe pick, but I wouldn't recommend socketing this straight up, play with some other manastones first and get a feel for them and see how much you feel like you're critting/hitting/resisting and then un-socket your manastones accordingly

Crit strike: The safest manastone you can ever socket, crit gives us a number of things, Knock backs, 1.7x Damage on our skills and auto attacks, and the power to kick ass.

A safe number you would want to get to is higher then 950, with huge strike resist numbers now, and everyone having the best gear, you need a high number of crit to be critting at the max of 50% ,

M.acc: Now you might be thinking, "I thought rangers were a physical class, whats the point of having m.acc?!" Well, theres areasons for this, It lowers the resistance chance on Traps, Sleep arrow and all of our slows/silences, which helps to land sleep, root, snares, slows and silences.

Now, this manastone is very viable, and one that NEEDS to be socketed. But like I said, its up to you to decide how much you should socket it, what I've done is have a set with Crit/M.acc fully for targets with MR, and then a set with my other manastones (Such as Crit/Attack etc)

Evasion:
Not that great, but I want to cover all I can, with evasion, the more you have, the more chance you have to dodge someones attack. The max chance you can have to evade someones attack is 30%, this is a build not many, or hardly any use anymore.

Magic resist:
Kind of the same deal with eva, wouldn't recommend it for a ranger.

HP:
Not much to say about this, feel like you need HP? go socket some then haha
helps you live longer, makes you a bit more durable in team fights.

Accuracy:
Socket this if you feel like you're failing to hit targets often, but usually our base accuracy/using the buff Aiming should do the trick.

In my opinion, for starters, go for Crit/M.acc and a bit of HP, don't go to overboard with M.acc though, but it does help a lot, and it'll let you not fail most skills etc.
What is diminishing returns?

High Daeva Manastones
http://forums.na.aiononline.com/na/showthread.php?t=150609

Diminishing returns is when you try to increase a specific Stat such as Accuracy, Crit Strike, Magical Accuracy the more of the new stones you socket the less of these stats you will gain.

Feathersalts Post on Diminishing Returns

Original Google Drive Spreadsheet, Thanks to the creator for this.
CP Calculator
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/136QZ_pA2bgfNifMZ7RVFcj05mI2lA1msWfgxRN2IMq8/edit#gid=0

My Take on Diminishing returns.
Diminishing Returns Explanation
https://docs.google.com/document/d/15XeIys6G934TAfzGSwBU7T-CU38JFikbmA2mHKodZGc/edit

The Bad Side
Now we've got all the boring stuff out of the way, I'd like to talk about the downfalls of the Ranger class, and why you should consider them before choosing this to be your new class/main or whatever.

• 1. Incredibley Squishy

One of the squishiest classes in the game (squishy means dies very fast/gets hit very hard), we probably have lower survivability then any other class (Apart from maybe sorcs) and we rely on our positioning, CC, speed and mobility to get us out of these situations

2. RNG, RNG RNG RNG RNG and did I say RNG.

"A random number generator (RNG) is a computational or physical device designed to generate a sequence of numbers or symbols that lack any pattern, i.e. appear random."

A lot of our skills are completely random, this little bugger can love you some days and hate you the next, I've had crits on players up to 5k, I've had crits on players up to 800. The class is completely dominated by the factor of randomness, and its very hard to counter this, sometimes it'll win you fights, sometimes it'll lose you fights, other times it will be how it should and just be 50/50 with everything.

RNG also determines our skills hitting/stunning and resisting on players, so if you don't mind a lot of randomness, then this shouldn't bother you

3. Rangers are seen as a "noob" class

and for the life of me I don't know why, I personally think come 4.0 they're much harder then a lot of classes -cough- sm gunner cleric templar gladiator -cough-, fwew excuse me.

If you don't mind getting called ezmode or w.e crap like that, this again won't bother you.

LINKS!!!

Images used in this guide are for reference only.
Warning!: I used level 80 items as
reference only.
Ranger PVP Equipment:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vfb8gikNzymT5lBmjW7boa4BxxmsCbzXY5CzNHHBkak/edit?usp=sharing

Consumables:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LdDiZrzbhKcrPVoH41rn9nUGrzR5Ff6freahS3OTPgE/edit?usp=sharing

Manastones:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/16ZST2kLIzlAzABYkaLamhkSBvhhG9bqXL2_qI8kVxhw/edit?usp=sharing

Ranger Stats:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1loke_W1z_Fuj_7imlNGGa1apjoNKb0T-zgsaAPOvRhw/edit?usp=sharing

Power of Creation:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1x74kO4LbikKhWTTNCphZWce3Aue7t0O0AE3RyrCGvuA/edit?usp=sharing

Youtube Links!

A video by Sywo San where he talks about Ranger.
AION 5.0 - Are you a good ranger?

Jump Shot Video.
Jumpshot

Mufflerman-Slideshot Tutorial
Slideshot

Weaving Tutorial
Weaving

If you have any questions please leave a Comment or Send a Private Message. You're welcome in advance!!! ;)

- Jejess

Last edited: